MLB’s top executive says he’s “skeptical” of the current CBA and has told the league he’s concerned about the effect on the game of players who sign with other teams, reports CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman.
In an interview with The Associated Press, COO Joe Torre said the league has been looking for ways to change the current structure.
He also said he thinks it would be “very difficult” to get to a deal that would include players like Miguel Cabrera.
“I think we’re very skeptical of the present CBA, but I do think it could change,” Torre told AP.
There are going to always be trade-offs.” “
It’s not going to be perfect.
There are going to always be trade-offs.”
The latest on the MLBPA’s endorsement of commissioner Rob Manfred, who has been criticized for signing players to lucrative deals that could be detrimental to the league’s ability to play in the postseason, and for making players available to other teams via trade.
Cubs first baseman Starlin Castro says the team has a strong plan to keep him with the team through the 2020 season, and he wants to continue with the Cubs, who he said are “a great team.”
In an appearance on ESPN Chicago’s “First Take,” Castro said, “I’m very excited to be back here.
I’ve always said, it’s going to take a lot of work to make this team better.
But, I’m here to help this team win and be a great team and bring championships back to Chicago.”
The Cubs won their sixth World Series title in seven seasons last year, which included a Game 7 victory over the New York Yankees.
Castro said the Cubs are a team with a “very strong core of guys that can help us win.”
The 32-year-old Castro, a three-time All-Star, has batted .272 with four home runs, 30 RBIs and 29 stolen bases in 152 games this season.
The Cubs, in their last eight postseason games, have lost three games.
Castro told ESPN Chicago he expects to play at least another season in the big leagues, and it would make sense for him to get a new deal.
“For me, I love Chicago, I want to be here,” Castro told “First Takes” host Ernie Johnson.
6:07 p.d. “
The way I see it, it would help us get back to the World Series, because we want to go out and win again.”
Marlins first baseman J.T. Realmuto has said he plans to sign with the Marlins for $8 million per season.
Realmut signed a $13 million contract with the Red Sox in December and is now one of two Marlins first basemen in the final year of his contract.
The team also signed former San Diego Padres slugger Joey Gallo to a four-year, $33 million contract on Wednesday.
He was on the DL for nearly a month because of an oblique injury, but was reinstated.
Gallo batted .303 with six home runs and 19 RBIs in 139 games this year.
Marlins president David Samson, in a statement, said the team will “continue to pursue a competitive and long-term deal for JT. and our other players.”
“Our commitment to JT and his family has been strong over the past few seasons and we remain committed to keeping him with our organization through the 2021 season,” Samson said.
The Marlins have not yet announced their starting rotation for the upcoming season.
Yankees third baseman Robinson Cano has told ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” that he hopes to sign a long-duration deal with the Yankees for $25 million per year, saying the club has “a lot of talent” and is “building.”
“The Yankees are a great organization, and I’m very proud of their players,” Cano said.
I’m just trying to make the most of my opportunity.” “
You have a bunch of good young players that I think can compete for a World Series.
I’m just trying to make the most of my opportunity.”
The 31-yearold Cano, who was named the AL’s Most Valuable Player last season, said he was “extremely excited” about his first season with the Blue Jays and wants to make an immediate impact.
“To be able to help the Yankees win is a dream come true,” he said.
He added, “To me, it is about winning championships.”
Rangers first baseman Elvis Andrus says he is excited to return to the Rangers after two seasons with the Tigers.
Andrus, 27, signed a three